Bedfordshire and Luton Joint Prescribing Committee
Ref: JPC Bulletin 268 (Updated)
Bulletin Date: 01/07/20
Review Date: July 2023
Unlicensed cannabis-based products for medicinal use (Updated) (EoEPAC* Guidance Statement)
Formulary Status: Red
Authorised Specialist Use only – No GP prescribing
- The Committee ratified the EoE PAC* Guidance Statement bulletin and recommendations.
- This Guidance statement applies to unlicensed cannabis based medicinal products only. Refer to local policies on the use of licensed products Sativex, nabilone and Epidyolex.
1. Initiation of treatment with unlicensed cannabis based medicinal products by GPs is illegal and is not permitted.
2. GP continuation of treatment initiated by authorised specialists, including treatment initiated by authorised specialists working in the private sector, is not recommended. All prescribing should remain with the responsible specialist.
3. Patients requesting prescriptions who are currently under the care of a specialist should be advised to discuss their treatment plan with the specialist.
4. Patients requesting prescriptions who are not currently under the care of a specialist should only be referred to specialist services where clinically appropriate and in line with current pathways.
5. Information for patients on the availability of cannabis based medicinal products is available on the NHS website here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/medical-cannabis/
See attached for full EoEPAC* document.
*East of England Priorities Advisory Committee